A golfing Rabbit is any player with a handicap of 15.5 or above. At Shipley we run a section within the club which all Rabbit golfers are entitled to join. There is an annual fee, currently just £5.00 which covers entry into all Rabbit competitions during the year and eligibility to be selected for the various teams.
The Captain of the section is elected each year at the AGM, usually the Vice-captain from the previous year, and he is responsible for golfing matters within the section. In particular this is the running and selection of the Bradford Rabbits League team and teams for the various regional knockout competitions and team championships.
The Vice Captain supports the Captain as needed and is responsible for arrangements and team selections for the Rabbit Friendly fixtures
A committee of former Captains and willing volunteers (elected at the AGM if necessary) manages the affairs of the section under the steering of the Rabbit Secretary. The Treasurer manages our financial affairs
At the beginning of each season the Captain writes to all Rabbits advising of what is to happen through the year and seeking members who are willing to play a part in league, knockout or championship teams. Rabbits old and new are encouraged to make themselves available.
Information about the section and its activities will appear on the Rabbit notice board in the corridor near the locker room and we send out regular e-mails
A range of activities takes place under the guise of the section:
- March – Rabbits Dinner and Prize Presentation
- April – The Rabbit Captains Cup, fourball medal
- April – Buck Rabbit knockout competition commences
- April – start of the Walter Lees Trophy – season long best Rabbit in qualifying medals (5 to count)
- May – Rabbits Cup, medal round
- May – Bradford League fixtures commence
- July – Henry Robinson Cup – annual fourball competition
- September – The Wickens – medal round
- September – The St Ives Committee Challenge
- September – Captains away day on which Committee Cup is played along with the Rabbit Strumpet (you might well ask)
- November – Rabbit AGM and appointment of new Captain
In between friendly matches with other clubs and with other sections within the club are organised.
A regular newsletter or e-mails will keep you informed on what is going on and keep an eye on the Rabbits notice board
It’s easy to join. Anyone wishing to join the section should leave their name and a fiver with the Professional, the Captain, the Secretary or the Treasurer. You will be more than welcome